To be eligible for coverage, you must be a plan member who is:
- a resident of Canada;
- covered under your provincial health insurance plan or UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan); and
- actively at work and have been certified as a an eligible plan member by the University.
For Your Dependents
To be eligible for coverage you must be:
- covered under this plan; and
- each dependent must be covered under a provincial health insurance plan or UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan).
Coverage Effective Date
Your coverage begins on the date the University certifies that you are eligible for coverage, and have satisfied the eligibility requirements and are enrolled under the plan.
Your dependent coverage will begin on the same date as your coverage.
If you have waived eligibility due to having coverage through your spouse’s benefit plan, you must request coverage from the University within 31 days after termination of the coverage under your spouse’s plan.
Your plan sponsor is solely responsible for submitting all required forms to GSC as of the Effective Date of this plan or as of the first date that you become eligible.
Your coverage will end on the earliest of the following dates:
- the date your employment ends;
- the date you are no longer actively working, or your approved leave expires;
- the end of the period for which rates have been paid to GSC for your coverage;
- the date the group contract terminates
Dependent coverage will end on the earliest of the following dates:
- the date your coverage terminates;
- the date your dependent is no longer an eligible dependent;
- the end of the month in which your dependent child attains the specified age limit;
- the end of the period for which rates have been paid for dependent coverage;
- the date the group contract terminates.
Dependent Children Continuation of Coverage
Any child whose coverage would end because they have reached the specified age limit may qualify for continued coverage, subject to the following conditions:
- your child became dependent upon you by reason of a mental or physical disability prior to reaching this age; and
- your child has been continuously so disabled since that time.