Child Care Benefit Plan: Part-time Staff (CUPE 1230)

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the maximum amount eligible part-time CUPE 1230 staff can claim for reimbursement?

The maximum amount you can claim is as follows:

Half-day reimbursement will be limited to 50% of the eligible expense up to a maximum of $10.00 per day. Half-day care must be a minimum of four (4) hours to a maximum of six (6) hours.

Full-day reimbursement will be limited to 50% of the eligible expense up to a maximum of $20.00 per day. Full-day care must be a minimum of six (6) hours.

There is a maximum potential reimbursement of $1,000 per child per calendar year.

The actual amount reimbursed will depend upon the total amount of all claims submitted by eligible part-time (CUPE 1230) employees for each plan year, as this is a capped fund, all eligible claims MUST be completed, submitted and received by the deadline date to ensure the total fund payout is known before reimbursements are paid out. NO LATE CLAIMS WILL BE ACCEPTED.

Reimbursement will be made through payroll deposit no later than April 30 each year.

How do I calculate the daily rate If I pay a flat monthly fee?

Calculate the average daily rate based on the number of weekdays in the month per the following chart for 2018:

23 20 22 21 23 21 22 23 20 23 22 21

For example, If you paid a flat monthly fee of $1,400 in January 2018, you would input a daily rate of $60.87 since $1,400/23 =$60.87 (even if your child was absent for some of those days).

How can I apply for the Child Care Benefit, If I no longer have access to Employee Self-Service (ESS)

Please contact to receive a PDF application form or visit the website

When are reimbursements paid out?

Reimbursements will be made through payroll deposit as a separate line item no later than April 30 each year.

Do I need to submit original receipts?

No, but you will need to save your receipts to support your claim if audited by the University, including receipts and/or signed declarations from the provider confirming dates and monthly payments made for childcare. Failure to provide this supporting documentation will require repayment of the Child Care Benefit.

What is the Plan Year?

The plan year runs from January 1 to December 31.

If I am hired during the year, am I still eligible to participate in this plan?

Yes you are still eligible to participate in the plan. However, the amount you are eligible for will be pro-rated according to the period of time you worked during the calendar year. Ensure that you only enter information from the date you are eligible.

For example, if you are hired July 1, your eligible amount claimed will be pro-rated to 6 months of eligible expenses and you should NOT enter any information for the months January – June, inclusive because you were not eligible.

If I receive reimbursement under the Child Care Benefit, how does this impact my income taxes?

The reimbursement of child care expenses under U of T’s Child Care Benefit is a taxable benefit. This means the amount reimbursed will be included in your annual income and reported on your T4 in the year the payment is made. As such, you can still claim your eligible child care expenses for income tax purposes.

For example, if your incur eligible child care expenses during the period January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018:

    • Reimbursement of expenses under U of T’s Child Care Benefit would be processed by April, 2019 and would be included as income on your 2019 T4 slip (which would be issued in 2020).
    • You can still claim your expenses when filing your income taxes for 2018 (which would occur in 2019).

What is the age limit for the Child Care Benefit?

The Child Care Benefit is eligible to be reimbursed up to the end of the month in which your child turned age seven (7). For example, if your child has a birthdate of July 18, 2011 you are eligible for the months January – July 2018, inclusive since your child turned seven in July, 2018.

Will everyone who submits an eligible child care claims receive the same amount?

No, a claim may be pro-rated for one of the following reasons:

  1. You have less than 12 months of eligible expenses because:
    • You were hired after January 1 of the Plan year; or,
    • Your employment ended during the Plan year; or,
    • Your dependent child turned seven during the Plan year.
  2. Your employment is less than 100% full-time equivalent (FTE).

I will be on leave in April and in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits, how can I defer the payment of the Child Care Benefit?

Please complete the on-line application and indicate “Yes” to the question “I will be receiving pregnancy and/or non-birth parent Leave Employment Insurance Benefit during the month of April”. Your payment will be processed upon your return to work.

Who do I contact If I have additional questions?

Please contact